5 Tips to become a Fab PhotographerNovember 15, 2018
#1 Costly Mistake on How I Lost $3KDecember 6, 2018
Travel journeys allow you to temporarily forget your stress, learn about other cultures, and relax. Traveling should not break your bank or sanity. Since most of us don’t have a bank account like Beyonce, here are 6 ways to save money while traveling.
- Airfare: If you can be flexible with your travel dates then book to depart on weekdays like Tuesday or Thursday and avoid the weekends like the plague. If flying domestic try using JetBlue, Southwest or Spirit Airlines. If flying international try using Google Flights, Airfarewatchdog or Skyscanner to track the best deals. Also if possible, pack light into a carry-on bag. If you need to check a bag then check if the airline offers a lower check bag fee online.
- Activities: Who doesn’t love a little bit of action while traveling? I know I do and I always do a hop on/hop off red bus tour of the city while taking advantage of everything that is free to do. Pick up a tourism card which will give you free or discounted entries to many attractions. For other attractions and tours try using websites like Viator, Smarter Travel and Rough Guides.
- Budget: I am a work in progress when it comes to creating a budget and sticking to it. It boils down to knowing when to save and when to splurge and this will depend on your preference. For me, I don’t need to shop or buy trinkets but I do like to treat myself to a Spa service and a classy restaurant.
- Food: Don’t be like me and try to eat everything in eye site. Take a day to shop at a local food store or farmers market. A little nugget is that most local stores allow you to taste the local cuisine without paying the prices of a restaurant. Always carry snacks and a water bottle.
- Hotels: While I love and prefer to stay at the Hyatt, my bank account is totally against it. Since you pay for location, stay away from the big tourist areas. There are truly amazing alternatives to the expensive hotels. Check out Canopy under the Stars and Glamping.com that offer unique places to stay. If you prefer something similar to a hotel then stay at a bed and breakfast and for a more local experience then definitely use an AirBnB.
- Transportation: Ditch renting a car and ditch using Uber if you want to save a few bucks. Opt for renting a bicycle or simply use the local bus and local subway. Bring along a guidebook and translation book and have fun mingling with the locals. In my opinion, that’s the best way to experience other cultures.
What are your tips for saving money while traveling?